While you were working, there was never enough vacation time for all the trips you wanted to take, and all the family events that fit into the year. Now you have double the advantages—you’re retired, and you’ve chosen a great senior community that takes care of the details of daily life. What better time to make those travel dreams come true? We have some ideas for how you can make your trip as smooth and simple as retirement community life:
- Take the trip YOU have always dreamed of. Don’t think in terms of your age or that it’s too late to have a big adventure. There are so many travel options these days almost any excursion can be tailored to your physical ability, health, and budget. So go on—what have you always wanted to do?
- Shop around. Not only can you book through a travel agent or popular travel websites like Orbitz and Kayak, you can also find offbeat packages and group deals simply by google searching the type of trip you’d like to take. Be careful of scams or sketchy websites before booking, but don’t be afraid to hunt for a great deal or a unique experience.
- Gone are the days of travelers’ checks and cash stashed under your clothes. Simply call your bank to let them know you’ll be in another state or country and during which dates. Be sure to bring a backup credit card just in case, and let them know where and when you’ll be, too.
- Go the extra mile to stay comfortable. That might mean staying in a hotel even if you are visiting family, giving yourself time at the end of the day to unwind before heading back out for dinner, and packing your favorite clothes that feel good. Take your usual toiletries or packets of your favorite tea—any of the little touches that instantly relax you. Even when travel is fun, it can be stressful.
- Make sure all your batteries are charged for cameras and camcorders, and that the memory cards are a fresh slate. Check and double check that you have all the cables and chargers you need—there’s nothing more frustrating than an electronic mishap that prevents you from preserving your trip.
Enjoy this special time to live life to its fullest. Go to all the places you’ve dreamed of visiting, and enjoy knowing that you have a pleasant, engaging community to return to. Your new friends will love hearing about your adventures, and just might want to join you for the next one! The great thing about living in a senior community is just that—the community!